Message from David Vlasblom, 2019 book sale co-ordinator:
THANK YOU for making the 14th annual Pleasant Park used book sale and bake sale another great success!
We achieved our main goal to promote reading by giving our community access to thousands of high-quality books at very affordable prices. Watching kids discover new books has no price tag!
We can also be proud that we raised $1,361.32 from the sale of used books and $247.35 from the delicious treats made by our many volunteer bakers.
Together, the book sale and bake sale raised $1,608.67 for students at Pleasant Park Public School!
Additionally, we are very fortunate and thankful for the hard work of Margaret-Anne our librarian who once again voluntarily ran the Festival du livre sale in the library during our event. She sold around $800 of books, and a portion of these sales are returned to us to buy new French books for our library collection.
A big thank you to Diane Legace, who co-ordinated six very successful book sales from 2013 to 2018, and who was a core volunteer and an indispensable resource to us again this year.
Big thanks also to:
- All the people that attended the event and bought books;
- The many families that donated books at the school drop off – the best books always come from these private collections;
- The drivers (Jessey and Jeremy) who helped me picked up the generous donations of books from Steve Maclean Public School;
- Lisa for making the big signs for the sandwich board;
- All the parents who sorted the books and set up the book sale – sorting all those books and setting them up on tables is a huge job, but all your help made it easy;
- The Pleasant Park custodians for all they did to help us;
- Principal Thibeault, Vice Principal Rassi and the office staff for all their support with organizing this event;
- All the teachers who collected books for their classrooms;
- Starbucks in the Trainyards for the donation of the coffee;
- Our high school volunteers and parents who served as cashiers during the sale and worked fast after the sale to get the gym empty by 3:30pm and deliver the leftover books to Rockcliffe Public School.
This event requires many hands to make it happen and there is no way it could happen without the support of more than 30 volunteers!
We hoped you enjoyed this community school event!